Saturday, October 17, 2009

First week

Well I made it thru the first week of school. I wasnt nervous at all heading there for the first time, actually I was looking forward to it. I guess what they call it on the first week is an intake class. There were 9 of us in the class and all but myself were taking the RCA course. I was the old man out so to speak. So most of the info given on courses was more related to the RCA's with a little thrown in for me. We spent the week doing pretty basic tasks, some simple keyboarding, and using their online system called G2 learning. It was based on finding out your learning style and what type of person you are in relation to learning and study habits. All of this I had done before so it wasnt any surprise to me with my answers. We also learned different ways of note taking and study habits. I was actually a little bored the whole time. The computers were damn slow and I was bout ready to pitch it out a window. How they can have such a large network and yet the system lagged so badly. If we were going to be doing any great amount of work on these things, I wanted my laptop!!!!

Well finally yesterday afternoon, near the end of the day, I got to meet my course instructor and she gave me my textbooks. I am really geared up to get into the class and get going. The class is small, only 11 students and Im the only one that is entering into the class this rotation. I talked with her a bit about the practicums and how they choose the place, as I was told by the director that the teacher works with each student to organize where and what area they wish to explore. I asked if it was a possibility at all to find something closer to home for me instead of being somewhere in Vic. She said that wouldnt be a problem and would actually be helpful to her as she would be able to make some contacts up island for future students. I told her what I was thinking of for a long term goal, which is eventually going into probation but that I think I would like to start within the addictions field. She said that they have had placements in the youth detention center with a probation officer. Now that sounded really kewl to me.
The next block that I will be starting into is all about child and youth counselling. She said that it is alot of theory, which has me a little unnerved. Having to digest so much information when your just starting into things but Im going to do my damnedest. Will be a hell of a lot of note taking for sure and a pile of reading. She said typically that she does the first 3 hours of class lecturing and then the last hour we work on homework or assignments and that alot of the students leave and go elsewhere to work. Now that sounds good to me as well cause I will be able to get outta dodge a little ahead of the traffic. I was scanning the textbooks a bit on the way home last night and some of the statistics they have are staggering. I thought for a minute, what the hell am I getting myself into! But I guess that is why there is a calling for this profession.

I have a feeling Im definitely going to have to set up some kinda schedule around the house for the evenings and make sure that my girlchild understands she cant be bugging when Im studying. Not that she is a huge pest but she does have a habit of showing up and annoying at the busiest moments. Mind you with class not starting until 1, which means I dont have to leave til 12ish, I do have all morning to get things done as well. As long as I have nothing else booked to get done then. Mornings may work well for me as Im an early bird and once I chase both of them out the door, I will have the house to myself. Mind you I think I would still take an hour in the evening to review what we did that day and try to keep it fresh in my mind for the next morning.

So for now it is time to relax and enjoy my last possible free weekend before the real stuff begins. Not that I have a free weekend by any means. Still have a bunch of stuff to get done. Have to help Len get his fish tanks moved and the last couple of large items over here. Tomorrow, I have to head to the lake, pick up truck and crew and get the guys to help move the hot tub over here and of course return them all to the lake. Also picking up a new to me car. Pretty good deal actually for $500, think it is a 99 Achieva and should beat the hell outta the Exploder on gas for commuting. Mind you, ya know I will take the bike every chance I get cause it is way cheaper and has nothing to do with my own therapy! Which I may need once things get rolling with school.

No comments: