Sunday, September 27, 2026

Racing for the border, Roswell, NM to Laredo, TX

 

RACING FOR THE BORDER

 

Woke up at 530 to find Lorie was still in the bed beside me.  I guess her people, the aliens didn’t come for her during the night and I would have to continue to bring her along for entertainment.  We rushed around and got ready and packed up and were on the road just after 6AM.  I wanted the early start so that we would get to Laredo as early as possible to unload the trailer into our room.



We made good time to our first stop in Pecos, Texas.  The roads were quiet and boringly straight so it was easy to do.  We joked about the lack of alien abduction but were otherwise quiet as it was so boring for scenery.  The cashier at the gas stop was very nice and she may have been flirting with Lorie.  While we were getting the dog loaded back into the car she came outside and gave us both a bottle of Icelandic water for the road and wished us a safe journey.  I think she wanted to come along.

We carried on the straight route through Texas and into Carlsbad when finally, we got a little change in scenery and road conditions.  Finally, we got into the hills and curves leading us to Sanderson, Texas.  Its not much of a town besides one store I have noticed each time I have gone through that makes all kinds of metal art.  We stopped at the gas station there and they had a taco shop attached to it.  We decided to grab a bite to eat to give us some energy for when we arrived.  Well, we both asked for a burrito and received more of a soft taco.  They put the meat on it, folded it and started wrapping it.  I asked about the topping and they said there were none.  Well, that is not a burrito.  So, they added some cheese, sour cream and pico then folded and wrapped it.  Still not impressed and I’m sure it will come back to haunt me soon. 

We carried on through this area that actually runs along the Rio Grande and Lorie was taking pics like crazy.  She got pics of the border guards sitting parked up on cliffs watching the river.  Pics of a trail that they rake with tires to watch for footprints and that also leave a trail of white dust footprints when someone walks through it.  Rock formation, the endless views and a squad of helicopters that were heading over the border.  Not sure if they were just watching or if they were up to something.

We made it into Eagle Pass with the gas light on and filled up for the last time today to get into Laredo.  It was still some long straight stretches of road but at least it was mixed in with a bunch of small towns and a different landscape with lots of trees.  We were stopped at an inspection centre along the way and asked where we were heading and they told us to be safe.

We made it to Laredo around 6 and got our room.  I had called last night to make sure I could get a room that I could get the trailer close to so that we could unload it.  Well we took in our bags to find the room was a complete disaster.  The window was broken and just had a screen and a piece of plexi glass leaning on it.  There were no lightbulbs in the lights, no towels, need I say more.  I went back to the desk and asked about the other rooms at the back of the hotel.  They were more expensive as they were newly renovated but I didn’t car as the one they gave us was not habitable.  So, we took the other room and went to get the trailer unloaded.  We managed to knock that out within a half hour.  I had to do this so that the customs broker can take the trailer and the bike to nationalize them.  Then they will return them and we can reload and take ourselves to the border.

Tomorrow morning, I will take them over and drop them off, then take Kahlua to the vet to get a screwworm certificate, then we will come back and relax until it is go time again.  We will cross the border on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Laredo is hotter than hell, at 38 degrees Celsius and a breeze has started but it is a hot breeze so does not help much.  Can’t wait to get to the beach and have the breeze to cool off.  Today we travelled another 1000 or so kilometers and in total from Parksville to here, we have done 3900kms in the 4 days on the road.



That’s about all for today, I’ve showered and am going to rest now as it has been a long haul.

Hasta luego

No comments: