Saturday, September 26, 2026

Hunting Aliens - Springville, UT to Roswell, NM

 

Hunting Aliens

Well, I got up at 530am and Lorie at 6.  We were able to pack up and be on the road by 630AM so we could get a jump on the day.  According to the map we had about 22 hours to drive in 2 days and we want to arrive in Laredo as early as possible as we have to unload the trailer so that it can go to the customs broker for import with my bike.

We made good time and got to Moab just after 9 and found someone to help with the trailer hitch.  I wanted to turn it upside down, so that it was more of a raised hitch instead of a drop hitch as it was lowering the backend of the jeep and the front of the trailer.  I attempted to deal with it myself last night, but I could not get the trailer jacked up high enough and then thought, if I did, would I be able to loosen the nut from the ball to replace it.  So, I gave up on it and decided to find someone at the first stop.  My idea worked perfectly, now everything is sitting straight and is towing way better, especially over bad bumps.  Those bad bumps are not scaring the hell out of the dog now.

As I so fell in love with Moab when I first drove through it last October, Lorie also fell in love with the town and the scenery.  It was the first time that she was snapping pictures every 2 minutes.  She admired all of the rock formations as well as the colours in the rocks.  She thought it was a little bit of BS that I wouldn’t stop or drive up a “mountain” (I use that word loosely) to get some for her to bring home.

We had a strange detour through the Navajo reservation.  I don’t recall it last year but maybe I did take it, as the road to the turn I recalled and then when I turned off of it the gas station I stopped at was there, so maybe I did.  It was pretty rough but all was well.  We did laugh that this might not be a good place for 2 white girls to be travelling on their own.  I said it was all good cause Pops is the last of the Mohicans and he would go to war for me!!

We had a pretty quiet day, just logging the miles.  There was a lot of long straight boring roads for most of the day but we did stop in Cuba, New Mexico that is and we did have a laugh at that due to the fact we didn’t have to fly or take a boat to get there.

After passing Cuba, finally the music selection changed and we kicked into a major singsong to Shania Twain and had it cranked right up.  Of course, I ended up singing to a bunch of songs after that and scaring the dog in the process.

As we got past Albuquerque and started heading to the small town that I thought I had seen alien lights, she insisted it was the aliens and not the windmills that I discovered on the return trip home. Lorie the forest witch, started noticing the change in the plants at this point.  She saw a few cacti and the size of others changed.

Well, we were on route, she checked out motel opportunities in Roswell and picked the winner. We are staying at the Roswell Inn.  It’s a little cliché but clean and comfortable.  We got our stuff in the room and then she decided to walk down the street to get a sub and try to meet her people.  She got back and was upset that they didn’t kidnap her.  All she wants is to see an alien and get taken with them back to her home planet.



My dog is a damn miserable diva; she is lucky Lorie is here to suck up to or I would make her sleep in the car as I don’t have a doghouse for her.  Kahlua is mad at me for uprooting her and making her do this drive again.  She has not eaten her dinner since we left but she has had a bit of our leftovers and some of her cookies. 

We drove another 1200kms today.  A very close friend of mine nicknamed me "Mileage Whore" as I logged so much mileage on my bike, but I guess I can do it in the Jeep also.  We plan on leaving early again tomorrow and get to Laredo as early as possible to empty the trailer.  Monday morning we will drop it off, find a vet to get the screwworm certificate for Kahlua and then try and relax until the import process is done.  It could be the same day or early Tuesday.  Then we have to reload everything and leave the next morning.  So at the latest we will leave on Wednesday morning and it should take 4 days to get to Progreso.

It’s time to relax and get some sleep so until the next edition, I will see you at the beach.

Hasta luego.

No comments: